10 questions every woman should ask their midwife
So just what is a midwife? What is an obstetrician?
And what’s the difference between them?
The essential difference between a midwife and an obstetrician is that midwives are trained to deal with women who have low-risk, normal and uncomplicated pregnancies, while obstetricians are trained to handle any type of pregnancy emergency including complications from underlying conditions such as diabetes, obesity and pre-eclampsia to name a few.
At Bloom, we believe that connected, multi-disciplinary care in pregnancy is the optimal model of care.
We have developed these 10 questions for you to ask your midwife and any of Bloom’s midwives (or any of Bloom’s obstetricians) will be happy to answer them!
- If I develop a complication during my pregnancy, what guarantee is there that I will be returned to care of a Bloom obstetrician?
- What are Bloom’s philosophies about childbirth?
- What are the best ways to help me keep my weight down?
- Should I have a birth plan, if so what should it include?
- What childbirth classes do you recommend for Bloom patients in the private and public systems?
- How long after my birth is it safe to have sex again, and will my vagina be the same?
- How do I know if my baby is moving enough?
- Are you available by phone or email for questions?
- How long does it take to deliver the placenta and what is the process?
- If I experience depression during the pregnancy or after the birth What should I do and who do I speak to?
Questions every women should ask their obstetrician
Got a question for our friendly midwives about your pregnancy?
1300 613 991
Prior to coming to your chosen hospital for delivery please ensure you telephone the midwives in the delivery suite to notify them of your imminent arrival.
Subscribe for Newsletter
*$990 obstetric package is with major funds such as BUPA, HCF, Medibank Private. Other funds may incur higher fees.
* Bloom costs include all obstetrician costs and midwife costs. Pathology services in most instances are bulk billed. In hospital pathology services may incur additional charges.
Ultrasound may also incur some out of pocket charges.You may be charged an anaesthetist’s fee and paediatrician’s fee.
© 2019 Bloom Obstetricians